06 December 2013

Nailed It.

Once in a while you see your passion and a hobby get somewhere, and there is nothing but a thankful grace that comes along with it. 

This is one of those times when faith - and I am as agnostic as they come - is returned in full fervour. An opportunity came up through a missed one for someone else, and a friend believed in me enough to fill that role.

The first two shots in this collection won her and her partner the Best Cover Photo and the Best Flat Art Photo awards in the recent Pink Room Cup 2013.

I'm the last person in the world to know about nail art and shooting these was the toughest photography gig I've ever undertaken. Lighting was not at all optimal, and all I had was tissue paper for light diffusion. Also, one 'non-DSLR' camera.

Now imagine you had to shoot these nails that also belong to Willabelle Ong of Pale Divison fame.

Fortunately it all worked out. Laughs were had. Stories were shared and I had the most interesting conversation with Willabelle's grandmother that will stay with me for life.

Hell I don't even recall the part where I took photographs that day - only the interactions I had with everyone present.

Along the way you discover your detractors will far outnumber those who believe in you because you too choose those you place your trust in. When those who believe in you ask of you, think thrice before you even consider saying no. This pays off in more ways than you can imagine.

To the wonderful Ying and Jenrine at The Nail Artelier, the lovely Willabelle and her grandmother, and one very accommodating lovely company and makeshift assistant who goes by channers

I'm thankful and I shall hope for more of such exquisite experiences.




No comments:

Post a Comment